Saturday, October 11, 2003

Everquest Southern Armada Week Twenty Nine

11/10/03 Week TwentyNine

Due to the release of LDoN Kez has only announced a single Raid this week with a warning to watch out for the pop of Rallos Zek the Warlord. So Monday night was quite a short one. First up we headed to the Plane of Disease for a quick Grummus kill. I decided (with permission) to take Garakk on this run rather than Ulaa. Mainly because its a fairly simple kill for us now so I didn't think Ulaa's firepower would be missed and secondly cause Garakk still needs this flag, hell Garakk needs all the flags. I figure I will ninja them for him slowly.

So we formed up, and headed into the POD castle, pulled and killed Gryme for his key.

Wiped Aramin the Spider Guardian out of our way and then nailed Grummus.

Now there is a reason that this kill has so little information attached to it and that is I had no fucking idea what was going on half the time. The view of Pooby between the legs of Grummus is about all that I managed to see of him. That is the view that most tanks will see during the course of any given raid. As I am a Troll and I am double shrunk 90% of the time I cant see nada. If I am beating on a MOB and a caster pulls aggro, to me the mob just vanishes away and identifying the MOB again amidst a sea of legs is damn hard.

I really don't know how the regular full time tanks can do it, I certainly gained a new appreciation of how difficult their job is. I really like being a tank in groups, its fun to go toe to toe with a nasty, but I really don't know if I would want to do it as a full time occupation as a raider. So as soon as the Grummus raid was over I logged back into Ulaa with a sigh of relief.

After Grummus we headed to The Halls of Honor to smack over Mithaniel Marr. Now Mr Marr is not my favorite kill, in fact I really hate it. It has less trash to clear than a lot of other kills...

A big Pussy Cat

There are a few named's on the way to MM and they are relatively easy to drop...

Halon of Marr

There is the usual hypocrisy of the ostensibly "Good" people, they tell you one way to live your life and behind the scenes they are practicing all kinds of filth and degradation.

Leave that Cat alone you perverted Frog!

The reason I really hate this kill is this; we have one of the best pull teams in the game. Atann, Ainyarx, Geno and the boys can pull anything solo. They have the art of extracting a nasty mob from its friends down perfectly. However with MM they always have problems. Splitting him out from his guards is damn near impossible and often in the end comes down to sheer luck and the SOE "Random" number generator.

That is just wrong, it denies the skill and time the boys put into a pull and reduces it to luck. This time they had some of that luck and that, along with their skill and style bought us MM alone.

The Lord Mithaniel Marr INCOMING!

So with little or no fuss we quietly disposed of MM and headed out of the Temple of Wind. It was getting pretty damn late at this point but I was determined to hang on as long as I could. SA headed out to the Tower of Solusek Ro for a couple of quick Named drops. Now I know we have only been doing Sol Ro Tower for 2 weeks, but it really is getting faster and faster. We cleared though the Trash Named's:

Generic Picture of Trash Named_001

Generic Picture of Loot Named (Jiva_001)

I like these kills. They are really fast to clear to and kill , and they drop guuuuuuud loot, I could happily go on farming them for some time to come. At this point however we started to head to The Protector of Dresolik. I think I got about 3/4's of the way there and realized I was actually asleep, so I figured I should make it officially asleep and headed to bed.

During the course of the week I joined up with Genosin and Axixs deep in the newly revamped Greigs End to kill the Servitor or Luclin for A Glowing Orb of Luclinite.

We tried it the first time with no slower and I couldn't keep Genosin healed using Zevfeers Theft of Vitae and Shadowbond, even with Laurwen throwing CH's on Genosin as well. Laurwen and I were both running out of mana too fast. So we roped in Axixs for slowing and KEI (for Laurwen and Genosin) and we went again. The second time round we dropped him handily. We got the Orb and I managed to run Garakk into Griegs to grab the Sombrous Claidmore that also dropped!. Woot now that was a fun way to spend an evening!

I also managed to get Garakk on a fast Hedge run for my Terris Thule flag during the week, now being a tank on this run was a lot of fun!. 18 or so people is a good number to be a tank for.

Damn he is still ugly

Finally we get LDoN launched. I was half way through my Chardok Rings quest when the servers went down. I logged out in the Frontier Mountains having found and done the Sarnak Spy section. I AM going to finish this damn quest this time. Anyway LDoN launched and everyone and his dog was in an LDoN dungeon, I didn't manage to get into a Dungeon group, but I didn't exactly try too hard either. I will give it a go tonight tho.

Ah fuckit I was going to make this long and involved and really draw it out. But I cant do it I just want to show you now.

How to Have one of the best nights possible in Everquest.
By Ulaa Grimsoul

1. Zone into The Plane of Tactics.
2. Pull triggers.
3. Kill Tallon Zek perfectly

4. Kill Vallon Zek perfectly

5. Kill The Fake Rallos Zek perfectly

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you The Southern Armada's path into the Elemental Planes.
6. Rallos Zek the Warlord. OWNED

Not only did we do this as a pickup raid, not only did we do this without a full Southern Armada raid team, not only did we do this on our second ever run at him, not only did we do this as a 2 day a week raiding guild, but we did it damn near perfectly.

I was sitting in front of my monitor, all the DOT's I could load running hard, with Rallos Zek at 2%, pounding my fists on my desk and bouncing up and down in my seat yelling "come on you MOTHERFUCKER!!".

I'm sitting here at work 12 hours later and just thinking about this again has got a smile on my face and a thrill running through me. Southern Armada SNUFFED Rallos Zek the Warlord at 11.48PM NZ Time Wednesday September 10th. Fuck I love you guys.

Big huge respect to Servalan, Genosin, Attann and Wolfe for running one of the fastest put together and best led Raids I have ever been on. The pulling, the raid control, the off tanking, the discipline all excellent. I owe you guys so much beer it isn't funny. See me in Sydney for major payback !

No comments: