Monday, March 01, 2010

Sydney Mardi Gras

Ive heard about the Sydney Mardi Gras for the last 20 years or so. The circles I used to travel in it was considered a big deal and one of the best parties in the world. Having now seen and experienced the Mardi Gras I have to say, Aucklands Hero Parade was better.

Sydneys party is definitely bigger, involves more floats and more people both in the crowd and involved in the parade. However it seemed to me that the Sydney parade handed out the right to join the parade if a GLTG person had walked past your offices in the street. What the fuck does the RTA have to do with Mardi Gras or gay rights?. No idea, but they had a float.

Hero was LOUD, I mean really seriously fucking loud. You couldn't have a conversation with someone standing next to you at any level below a shout. The music and light shows on each float were awesome. Because there were a lot less floats they tended to be of better quality both in presentation and enthusiasm. The Hero parade was a lot less political than Mardi Gras seemed to be and the participation of those in the parade a lot more enthusiastic.

Hero was a lot more sexual. Lets face it, the various Gay parades around the world are at the end of the day about a choice which involves the loins. Celebrate that fact, flaunt it in the citizens face, get RUDE!.

Maybe if I was circling the parade on pills it would have been a lot better. Maybe if I had any gay friends in Sydney and had been invited to a party it would have been more enjoyable, I don't know. I just wasn't that impressed.

PS: Bobby Goldsmith Foundation I am not paying you 130$ for a seat again. The seats were bloody uncomfortable, too small and didn't at all feel safe. Charging 7$ for what was effectively a 1/2 glass of beer and 10$ for a sausage roll was also well on the nose.

Guys I understand it all goes to charity, but that doesn't give you the right to rip people off.

No comments: