Monday, April 28, 2003

Everquest Southern Armada Raids Week Nine

28/04/03 Week Nine

Well, this week was one of extremes. EQ is getting a bit like that at the moment. You either have a fantastic week or a completely crap one. My week started off really badly. Logged in for the Monday Raid, Couldn't join COD warm-up (Fuckit Im going to organize to do the Non Flag key Quest this week) then headed off to HOH to do a couple of the Loot Trials. Just before HOH started I began to go LD.

Now when I start to go LD its not just once or twice, it's constantly. So after my 6th LD in an hour I decided it was time to give up. I logged in for the 7th time to find SA had finished up and headed to PoTactics to drop TZ. I was so pissed off I didn't even say good-bye, just logged. What is most frustrating about my LD issues is that it has nothing to do with me. I cant do anything about it. I run a dedicated gaming machine set up to do nothing but play EQ, I read the tech boards constantly, I peruse all the gaming boards and I have tried everything anyone has ever suggested to fix the problem. Nothing works.

When I start to go LD the only fix is to give up and log off. Here is where Sony's completely crap Tech support comes in, I am not the only one who has this issue. They have been detailed at great length on the Tech Support Forums. I have had the same issue on 3 different physical machines, 3 dial up modem's, 3 ISP's, an ADSL account and 2 different OS's, AND YET according to Sony Tech Support this problem is entirely my fault and I must be doing something to make it happen. Strange that I logged on the next night and it didn't happen, and it didn't happen the night before either. What did I change on my system in those 3 days?, you got it, FUCKING NOTHING!!!

So during the week I did some basic XPing in POTactics where we killed us many many Piggies.

At some point it was decided to go and Keel us a Dwagon for an Epic. So we all ran off to Emerald Jungle (Where even with a damn in game Zone Map I managed to get lost *sigh*) and proceeded to engage Severilous. This is how the fight went for me:
Engage Called
Cast Splurt (4sec cast time)
Resisted, Bugger
Begin to cast Touch of Mujaki
Oh never mind he's dead.

We nailed Sev in about 10 seconds tops with 2 groups *grin* we rock!.

So after a server down on Thursday morning we all logged in slavering with anticipation for the Friday raid. Surely there MUST be something decent up!. First off we head to Akheva Ruins for a little IV action. The Itraer Vius just makes for such a perfect warmup, he's like a perfect woman, he's always there, always willing and goes down as fast as you can get in the room!. Fat bastard REFUSES to drop my damn spell though. Oh yes, he drops lots of bloody Zevfeers Theft of Vitae, or Gift of Ageolisim, but will he drop Funeral Pyre?, no he damn won't.

We also had one other little detail to clean up. Shei Vinitras had evaded us on our last 3 trips to AR, so we headed down to his room to try out the Tactics we had worked out during much discussion on the Message board. The pull team worked its magic and Shei proceeded to fall over on his four armed ass. I saw a post on The SafeHouse about Shei, where the writer said once you figure out the tactic, Shei is a gimp fight. Once you separate Shei from his guards....

the writer was right. Shei dead, one SA death.

With Shei dead and the raid nicely warmed up it was learned that the Avatar Of War was up so off we went to Kael Drakkal. SA hasn't been able to get at AOW since Kunark came out, now we get him twice in two weeks!. Once again the pull team does a marvelous job and we down in rapid succession:

Derakor the Vindicator

Statue

Idol

And finally the man himself....

A perfect kill, only one death in the whole sequence. So after AOW we were really buzzed up, we had nailed two mobs that have evaded us for ages and were slavering for more. NOTHING was going to stand in the way of Southern Armada tonight!. So off we went to visit Rydda'Dar in the Halls of Honor. Now this dragon is another target that seems to be perma dead on Prexus so we were itching to get at him.

Unfortunately once we got there we found that about 15 or so people with us were unflagged. After about 30 minutes trying to get everyone in under the 85/15 rule, Kez said "Fuckit lets go kill AD" So off we headed to Plane Of Valour. We took down Aerin'dar a hell of a lot cleaner this time than last time. Another efficient take down later and AD was sitting in Dragon Heaven wondering what the hell just happened.

At this point the Little Red Fire Engine had to log, something about his hamster being stuck up somewhere?. So I only managed to get the two shots of his dead and rotting body!

LRFE 3
MOBS 1
Something is definitely wrong when the LRFE gets a 3-1 ratio, must do something about that.

So after everyone was flagged we headed back to HoH to nail Rydda'Dar. Unfortunately this was where our unbroken run ended, but RD was at 40% when we wiped. That's cool, that makes him a very killable target by us. A little refinement of our tactics and he will fall, oh yes he will!.

At this point it was close to 3:00 am so I logged and headed to my little beddie byes for a good nights snoozin. So we got some awesome PhatLewtz! during the week. Unfortunately the GF was determined to limit my EQ game playing over the Easter/ANZAC weekend so I didn't get to do a lot of XPing. Then on Saturday it all changed!. I logged in early Saturday morning and sent Big a tell in BOT, he invited me to head over there and join his XP group.

So off to Bastion Of Thunder I headed. We were killing stuff for a while when the Druid in the group popped up with "Nameds up". So since BOT was pretty empty we dropped the nameds in East, West and North. Unfortunately I only got pics of the one named from North.

At that point the group started to break up and I went off looking for some more XP and boy did I find it. I found one of those rare, fantastic when they happen, rotating XP groups in the BOT courtyard. Most hardened EQ players will tell you that the average pickup XP group seriously sucks ass. Then, every now and again you get a good one, even with people rotating in and out of the group, you always seem to end up with decent players who know their jobs and are there to have fun.

I started Saturday at 63 +45% and ended it at 64 +7%. While in was in this group Unity and SA were joining up to drop Rydda'Dar, Tallon Zek, Rallos Zek etc etc. When those raids were called I was still slogging through to 64 and for a Necro, good XP groups are like hens teeth. You hang on to them as long as you possibly can. So I passed on 3 good raids, but I got 64 so its all good!! *grin*

So the week on the whole was a mixture of Good and Suckie. I got 64 but missed 3 raids, I got to go on some fantastic raids but missed the first time SA dropped TZ. Hopefully tonight (Week10) will be a good night as well.

No comments: