Friday, November 14, 2003

Everquest Southern Armada Week Thirty Eight

14/11/03 Week Thirty Eight

Well another weeks raiding is gone, one more week closer to the AGM.and serious drinking. Come Friday evening I will be there! I actually had my first weekend that was completely EQ free this weekend. Mainly due to reasons beyond my control but I must say I quite enjoyed it, a change is as good as a rest as they say.

First up was Tuesday which was something of a mishmash of what the other guilds had left us. First up was Fire so it was off to ss1 we went. Not a hell of a lot up at the time, but what was there we were determined to kill. Ooo look a big Froggy! Lets Kill it!

Pyronis the Kermit of Fire

That was it for Fire. As a zone, Fire is usually clear simply because its the "loot wonderland" for the effort required to drop the MOB's. So its usually first on the list for clearance by any Guild capable of it. So once Fire was clear, we headed out to Water for a little Floaties killing. I hate Plane of Water, whoever designed it obviously did so on a very high end PC, directly linked to the Zone file server via Gigabit Nic with no-one else ever in the zone. As soon as you get 70 people in there for a raid, it turns into a lag fest. Even the usual trick of facing the wall doesn't help me at all in some parts of this zone.

First up was the traditional killing of Grioihin the Wise. I have no idea why, but I really like this fight. For some reason no matter how well we prep for it, it always turns messy as the mob will do something unpredictable and stuff up your strategy. I think that's the reason I find it usually a lot of fun!.

Next up is the lovely little Bloke known as Krziik the Mighty. We have killed him 3 or 4 times now and I still cannot tell you what he looks like. Below is a pic of Krziik during the fight, can you tell me what he looks like?. All I ever get is an impression of lots of armour plate and the Tanks saying *ouch* 'cause he hits so hard!.

Even Dead it is kind of hard to identify what the hell he actually looks like.

Next up was a wee trip out to Elemental Plane of Air. At this point it was getting kind of late, so after a mini named or two and while the raid was heading towards the Avatar of Dust, I logged and went and lay down for the evening.

Constable Alranderisan

The Final Raid of the week fell nicely on a Thursday, just in time for me to feel really shitty on a Friday morning!. Wasn't too bad tho, we had the boss back from his month long Holiday on Wednesday so the pressure finally started to ease a little.

There has been something of a debate going on on the Prexus Message Board about the merits of killing lower level content for the Twinks of high end raid guilds. It seems people were so busy bitching at each other they forgot to actually go raiding and left lots of lovelies up for us!.

First up was Fire, so a quick run to SS1 and we prepped and pulled. First up today was Blazzax the Omnifiend. For a MOB with such a foreboding name, he really is a bit of a wimp.

Blazzax

Blazzax just whetted our appetite for more. The Pull team decided that they were feeling a little frisky and pulled Arch Mage Yozanni to ss1. Now apparently the monk inter-server chat channel were claiming that not only was he impossible to pull to SS1 but that we were closely related to crazy to even attempt it. Once again the Southern Armada pull team stepped up and did the "impossible". Apparently after the kill the Monk chat channel simply couldn't believe we had done it!. /bow to the pull team.

So we pulled him, he came with Adds (2), Pooby tanked him and off tanks killed the others. Of course I am just about the other side of the zone trying to avoid his nasty Mana Drain AOE and waiting for the "AOE has passed" call. Saw the call, charged in to start casting and BAM there's his DOT. WTF?, so now I am dotted and losing mana at a massive rate. So I cast till I am OOM, just load him up with everything I can. Run back to the med spot, get a cure, move another 50' or so back out of his range and sit to med some mana back.

AOE is called again, guess what, I'm STILL in his AOE range!, fuckit, get another cure, run as far away from him as I can and still be in the zone and sit to med. Finally get some mana back, wait on the AOE call, find I am not in his range and charge in to lay some DOT's on him. Of course by now he's down to about 10% and I've done sod all to him. Ah well, better late than never, and now I know where the place to be out of range of his AOE is.

Next up was the relatively easy kill of Quavonis Firetail. He has this nasty ability to shadow step you around the zone (ask Nobby about that! *grin*), however he almost always ports you backwards, so make sure your back is to the wall and cast away!

Quavonis Firetail

Mr Firetail was also kind enough to drop an Elemental Silk Sleeve Pattern. The Guilds officers were kind enough to award that particular pattern to me!. To be honest I'm always kind of surprised when I do actually get given stuff and deeply grateful. Usually I send a tell and then continue with what I was doing, which is probably chatting. Sometimes it actually takes a second to register that that piece has been awarded to me and in one case I didn't even realize I had been awarded something till someone sent me a tell!.

After we ported out to Tranquility and headed to Water for the next kill I stopped off at the bank, got 2 swatches from the very kind Xardan (thanks mate!) and exchanged my pattern for a Miragul's Sleeves of the Risen Souls!.

Those sleeves have to go into the "omfg I don't believe I am actually wearing a piece of Elemental Armour!" category. Holy crap!, I have Elemental armor! wow!. Even thinking about it a week later I'm still slightly stunned. Hell I'm still slightly stunned every time we zone into an Elemental zone to kill a named! When it comes to Grioihin the Wise I get stunned about every time the AOE goes off, or at least it seems that way!.

Next up was our heavily armed, armored and scaled friend Krziik the Mighty. We actually moved down towards him to the lower part of the zone, but as you get lower into the Plane of Water zone, lag gets worse and worse. So thankfully they pulled us all a little further back or I doubt I could have engaged Mr Mighty at all.

Then, even deeper into PoW comes the big squid. Everytime I see Hydrotha all I can think is "mmm Calamari!". I must admit tho, he is kind of a nice break between Wise, Mighty and the MOB's further into the zone as he is a pure Melee Mob which makes him a little easier to take down.

Finally we have cleared enough of the zone to get to Ofossaa the Enlightened. This would be our first engagement against Ofossaa, he has a reputation as a mob that just wipes guilds hard and fast. Even time enabled guilds stay the hell away from him. However it had also been rumored that he had been "balanced" and was thus more in line with the rest of the zones mobs. So we prepped, Raid leaders gave us some info on him, buffed, took a deep breath and pulled!.

We had him at 14% when we wiped which is not damn bad for our first run at him!. I'm not sure why we wiped to be honest apart from his insane damage output, as I had been going Link Dead just about every 5 minutes for the last hour. This was my 9th LD and it also incorporated a 5 minute 1018 just for fun. So at this point, just about crying in frustration, I gave up and logged just as SA was reforming for a second try at him.

No comments: